+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 1:5 scale delta submersible scratch build

Darrin H Guest

Default 1:5 scale delta submersible scratch build

Here's the start of my Delta submersible build. The model is a whopping 1:5th scale subject and will be completely scratch built. Nothing new to show on the master and molding process so here are some shots of the raw hull. The most interesting part for me is I am building a second one at the same time for a friend. These will be the only 2 produced as this was part of the agreement. (We like to have unique models.) Model will also feature a custom WTC with a piston tank. Plan is to have these beasts ready for the San Francisco regatta in Sept 2010.

Some of the details.

Polyester hull laid up from simple plaster molds.

22 (so far) urethane castings per boat. Window frames, ports, upper hatch, prop ring and details.

Custom WTC with piston tank.

Darrin
    Last edited by Darrin H; 05-14-2010 at 09:44 AM.

Hi Darrin,
    I will see you there.
    Regards,
    John

Darrin H Guest

Here are some shots of the raw hulls. Layup is nice and strong and about the size of a scuba tank. WTC access is from a hatch in the bottom. This will preserve the scale looks and allow me to have functioning hooks to hang the model like the real one.

DH

Last edited by Darrin H; 05-14-2010 at 09:50 AM.

Default Photos

Hi Darrin,
    You will want a www.photobucket.com
    photo storage account.
    This is very easy to do.
    You can download your photo from your computer photo files to the Photo Bucket account then copy the image code then paste it to the Subpirate forum comment.The forum saves a tremendous amount of server space by using this method.
    Regards,
    John

Darrin H Guest

Thanks, I have an account and uploaded the photos.
    Have a bunch of photos to post so I can catch up to where the build is. Hatch is a 1 piece urethane part and will have several details added to it. Cast in a lightweight version to keep the ballast tank smaller. You can also see the start of the weld lines that will be everywhere on this model. Done with thick CA and accelerator just like everyone else.

Window and port castings starting to be put in place. 17 per boat took a long time to fit and blend to the existing hull. Round ports were cast with the curvature of the hull and tower to make it faster.

Darrin

Darrin H Guest

Rudder was a real chore too. 3 pieces of laminated G10. The center part had various cutouts to hold the hinge parts and shaft log in place. You can barely see this in the photo.

Starting to look like a couple of deltas...
    Prop ring was turned on a lathe and cast with some details added.

Darrin

Darrin H Guest

Unhappy

Now, I'm about caught up to the build progress. All window castings installed, front access ring installed, dive plane arm and plexiglass part completed. Rudder pivot shaft is glassed in and ready to fix the linkages. Fun stuff is coming soon..

(19 polished plexiglass windows and 200 stainless hex bolts per boat)

YIKES.....

Darrin

Darrin,
    Fabulous job!
    You could sell these.
    Regards,
    John

Very nice Darrin!!
    You need to get this done.
    I need my Pibber!! Ha!!! BD.
    You want to complain! Look at these heels I have only had them three weeks and the heels worn right through! If you complain nothing happens, so you might as well not bother. My back hurts, it's a fine day, and I'm sick and tired of this office!

Darrin H Guest

John,

I'm sure I could sell some of these but have no desire to cast 20 parts, lay up 6 hull pieces and provide the plex windows. I will need to take a break from fiberglass for a while. Have a few kits in the rafters next.

Dave,

I'm hoping to get this done ASAP. The PBR hull is done. I just need to get some styrene and suck a couple down. You will need to do the deck on your own though. Time is really tight right now.

Rudder linkage is all set. Had to move it a bit from the scale location because we are using a tube rather than a dry hull. The linkages would be too complex.

These photos show the lower hatch. Seam is almost there. A couple more rounds of bondo will have it perfect. Glassed in cradle still needs a way to fix the tube to the hull. Probably the last engineering hurdle I need to solve.

Darrin

+ Reply to Thread