+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Glues for Polycarbonate to Steel

Default Glues for Polycarbonate to Steel

OK, guys, this is a question for a friend of mine. He is wanting to glue polycarbonate to steel. Think that it will be stainless, but not sure. This piece will take repeated poundings, and hence the glue cannot be brittle like CA glue. I am thinking that the best option would be a long setting epoxy, but there are things out there like JB weld that might be candidates as well. Any suggestions?

As for me, I promise to get building again this week. I have needed to take a break to get my head straight and relax a bit from the rigors of school.

Adam
    The Practical Engineer

Subculture Guest

Look here-

http://www.deluxematerials.co.uk/system/index.html

Super crylic is a two part adhesive suitable for bonding polycarbonate/lexan to metal.

Andy

Check out T-88 by System Three.
    It is the strongest epoxy I have ever used. They build full sized jets with it. Great stuff!! It takes 24HR to cure is the only drawback. BD.

http://www.systemthree.com/p_t_88.asp
    You want to complain! Look at these heels I have only had them three weeks and the heels worn right through! If you complain nothing happens, so you might as well not bother. My back hurts, it's a fine day, and I'm sick and tired of this office!

I concur that T-88 is an excellent adhesive, and is worth looking in to. As an aside, you can also kick it into curing in matter of hours with the careful application of heat.
    Kevin McLeod, OSCAR II driver.

here is a quote from their website

"Will epoxy resin adhesives bond all materials together?
    Epoxy resin adhesives will bond all woods, aluminum and glass well. It does not bond to Teflon, polyethylene, polypropylene, nylon, or Mylar. It bonds poorly to polyvinyl chloride, acrylic and polycarbonate plastics. The only way to tell if an epoxy will bond to a material is to try it. Generally, epoxy adhesives are the best choice for bonding dissimilar materials together. If epoxy bonds to Material A and to Material B it will bond the two materials to each other. The best thing to do is to try it and see for yourself."

So I guess that is out of the question, any other suggestions?
    The Practical Engineer

Subculture Guest

Adam,

Here is a direct link to the 'Glue chart' for deluxe materials. As you can see the adhesive I recommended is suitable for polycarbonate/lexan.

http://www.deluxematerials.co.uk/pages/gluechart.htm

Some interesting info here too-

http://www.dymax.com/products/plastic/

Adam,

There is no suitable adhesive for gluing anything to metals, especially steel. You can get a light bond, but it has very little shear strength and even less impact resistance. Yes, you can stick different materials to metal and steel with an amine based resin, but there is a big difference between an adherence and a true bond. For poly to steel there is no such animal.
    Regards,

Matt

To bond disimilar materials we use a technique here that seems to always work. We drill holes say in the steel, and on the other side we place material we know the glue tenaciously sticks to. Then we glue whatever goes on the front side of the metal to whatever is on the other side through the holes, sandwiching the metal between plates of tenaciously glued pieces. Then when that cures, we mix another batch and seal the entire assembly in another glue jacket. I just finished doing this very thing for a large Solar System we are doing down in South Carolina.

I have never had issues with it and holing the disimilar materials is usually the only way to ASSURE a bond when no adhesive will truly bond such materials as has already been pointed out in a previous post...

Marc

+ Reply to Thread