+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 56 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 ... LastLast
Results 501 to 510 of 559

Thread: Armed USS Permit/Jack Scratch Build

  1. #501
    ManOwaR Guest

    Default

    Now, to achieve my thin walls for my sail I bought some styrene sheet that is roughly around the thickness of my fiberglass lay-ups. It was cut to size and then melted into the mould halves using my heat gun. The styrene sheet takes the shape of the mould perfectly and then all I have to do is trim the excess and glue the styrene halves together. See where I am going here?


    The two halves are held together with two blocks of MDF and held firm with little bungee cords. Not too tight though, I don’t want any deformation. I applied mould release on every square inch of silicon rubber, as I don’t want any sticking from new pour leaks. A new dam is built and rested on the MDF and my “styrene sail” is inserted into the hollow. I also put a few strips of fiberglass in the hollow to prevent stretching of this “mandrel” when being removed. Now I can pour the third part of this mould.


    Regards,
    Joel

  2. #502

    Default

    HEY! That's too clever. Thanks for the big tip of the day. I always wondered if this could be done. Hmmmm..................

    I used to do this with a water based clay. In the studios we called it making a core. You would thinly slice the clay for an even thickness and then contour it into the halves. Close and blend. Pour.


    Steve
    Last edited by Tom Dodge; 03-23-2009 at 06:34 PM.
    Make Space Ships not War

  3. #503
    ManOwaR Guest

    Default

    Steve,
    I was thinking about clay too, I was just worried about dimples from squishing it in places. It would work just as well if not better in the hands of a pro though. I have tried mine out on a cast already and I would say it was a success. although I didn't have enough resin in the well I was happy because the exaust diffuser fins filled out nicely and the parts of the sail that did have resin came out perfect. I just have to cut some sprue holes into the core piece for better filling.

    Thanks,
    Joel

  4. #504

    Default

    You bet Joel. Hey I just got to get me some Legos!

    Steve
    Make Space Ships not War

  5. #505
    ManOwaR Guest

    Default

    Ok,
    Here are the results from this mould;
    I used a couple of wraps of fiberglass around the core and held it there with spray-on contact glue and forced some chop into the exhaust diffusers. My new transparent, longer cure time urethane wikked throughout the glass beautifully. I am really happy with the results here, no pin holes and complete coverage of resin! The modelers won’t have to fit their sails together anymore now…a real lazy man’s kit!




    Here is the first reproduction with the flashing still on…yay! Less work for me now too. The clear plastic really lets me see what has happened in the cast. For production I’ll probably add a black pigment to the plastic




    Regards,
    Joel

  6. #506
    nuke power Guest

    Default

    Joel that thing looks great. Still jealous of all the new details you added. Any more word on your new props?

  7. #507
    ManOwaR Guest

    Default

    Just the moulds, Kev. I'm getting on those fairly soon I would think.

    Joel

  8. #508
    ManOwaR Guest

    Default

    And here is what we have waited for, a finished cast gearbox...





    Joel

  9. #509
    ManOwaR Guest

    Default

    Here's a look inot what I have been up to the last few weekends...Note on the last picture is my vacuum chamber, the real amount of mixed silicone is only about a tenth of the volume of the container and it almost boiled over. It's a good thing I used a large container to hold the stuff through the process of de-airing My results with using the vacuum deaired silicone is different than if I was to solely use the pressure pot. This technique truely de-airs the material while pressurizing, well, I'm not really 100% positive what is doing there. Theoretically it should be creating millions of tiny little bubbles at 70psig defused all around the silicone, but the finished porduct is just as good (but slightly less translucent) as the vacuumed variety. Either way, I use pressure for moulds that fit into the pot and vacuum for pouring into ones that won't. I'm not limited here by pot size anymore.





  10. #510

    Default

    Super nice work Joel!

    Steve
    Make Space Ships not War

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. #10 1/72nd Scale Permit Build Thread
    By Polaris in forum Build Contest 2009
    Replies: 86
    Last Post: 06-08-2009, 01:01 PM
  2. 1/96 Scratch Build SSN 571
    By nuke power in forum Building threads
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-02-2009, 11:26 PM
  3. 1/96 Permit Kit Build Guide Part 1
    By Thor in forum Building threads
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-08-2009, 01:11 PM
  4. 1/96 Permit Kit Build Guide Part II
    By Thor in forum Building threads
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-20-2008, 08:03 AM
  5. SF Scratch Build
    By elec_tech in forum RC Sub Modeling
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-31-1969, 06:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
antibioticos genericos
desogen birth control