+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 1/96 Scratch Build SSN 571

nuke power Guest

Default 1/96 Scratch Build SSN 571

Well, I think it is time for me to take the next reasonable step in this hobby and that is to build a submarine from scratch.
    For my first attempt was goign to originally build a Los Angles class boat. This was simply because the shape was easy enough, being just a tube with two cones. However, what I really want to do is a model of NR-1 or the Nautilus. The NR-1 would be, I think, a bit to much for a beginner such as myself. So, I chose the Nautilus. It will offer me a good challenge because of its sweeping bow angles and it is the father of all nuke boats (with a good classic look).

So, the journey begins and so do the questions. Ive been reading around alot of the other scratch threads and I am going to use the lost foam method. I am using blue builders insulation foam to make my master and I have a few questions.

What is the best way to glue the parts together?
    What is the best way to shape them? Wire foam cutter or saw?
    How would you reccomend makeing the bow transition?

Here is a pic of one incase you forgot how the bow looks.
    Hey what the hell happened to the picture add button. Am I frickin blind?

Default Re: 1/96 Scratch Build SSN 571

Very nice. Brian has one of these going as well. What do you have for plans? I put together a CAD file a couple years ago for this boat from plans that Steve sent me. Drop me a note and I can provide some pics I took of her and maybe some other goodies...
    I know you. You know you. And I know you know that I know you.

nuke power Guest

You got it. I didnt know brain was making one aswell.

Kevin,

Wait! I'll see if I can get Caswell to send you my book ASAP. It's not fully edited but it will answer everyone of your questions. I wrote the book on wire cutting blue foam. Literally!

Or write to Caswell now as I'm busy doing honey dues. Tell him I said to send you the file. This will really help you and save me from doing a huge post here.

Steve

nuke power Guest

Well I will ask him. Cannot hurt right? What is the best way to get ahold of him.

Kevin

Email him. Click on Caswell banner and contact us. I think it's the same email I have. Tell him you are, a bad ass Nuke boy on a boomer. He's third generation Navy himself and all you swabos sick together. Ahahahah!!

Steve

Kevin,
    Total file size is 468 meg. I burned it all on CD. Can you PM me your snail mail?
    Chris

STARK Guest

Chris has a good file on the boat, Pete sent me a CD with good photos of her as she sits now Kevin so get up with him too. Steves book will be good to have I would like to read it too Steve!

Brian

Thanks Brian, Steve really got me going with info on this one. When are you getting back to your 571? Enough of those Chryslers already!!

STARK Guest

I do not know at this time, I seem to work it the best when I feel the need, you know. Dodge city overhere again, and still have the 212 to finish. But one day and I will post it here.

Brian

+ Reply to Thread