+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13

Thread: 007 "Wet Nellie" Lotus Esprit

more stuff arrived today... here are two brand new lipos, 5amp 30c 4s ... but they arrived dead as a doornail so if i cant get these to take a charge ill be posting some negative feedback on ebay possibly lol... also the new wall charger for the futaba 14mz i bought as well... some tamiya plugs... still waiting for some deans plugs, some water tight connectors, a capacity meter that is illuminated as well....

Still undecided if i want to run just one battery to power both esc's and radio gear or one for just the drive motor and the other for everything else....

battery and charger for 14mz by Dave Townsend, on Flickr
    Last edited by wingtip; 02-13-2016 at 03:38 PM.
    Dave Townsend
    Lifetime project- (lol) 007 Wet Nellie

batteries took a charge... but not to confuse anyone those two are for the drive motor and the piston tank... the way it read it was for the 14mz which they are not and the 14mz should be here tomorrow but will need to be sent to futaba services to have the touchscreen replaced...

here are some pics of the nice little battery capacity monitor i bought from ali express for like 7 bucks... nicely illuminated and can be programmed for nimh or lipoly and cell count... and some pics of the finished rear 1/3 of the car lower hull...guess im just going to do it in sections then mold... itll be more seams to clean up but printing it as one piece is astronomically expensive if you can find a printer large enough to do it and i never heard back from the guy with the foam cnc mill soooooo.....

meter01 by Dave Townsend, on Flickr

meter02 by Dave Townsend, on Flickr

rear05 by Dave Townsend, on Flickr

rear06 by Dave Townsend, on Flickr
    Dave Townsend

not sure if you are a "must have all the different models available" type of fan of the lotus sub, but have you seen this?

https://www.hlj.com/product/fuj09192

at 1/24 scale, it would be pretty darn small to try to r/c, but as i have done many times with static models and my r/c stuff, it could certainly be used to verify basic shape and details, etc.

interesting find... from the looks of the picture its already more accurate than the autoart 1:18 diecast which is full of mistakes..... i may have to snag one of those or two...... thanks for sharing it...

EDIT: Found some other pictures of the kit and its not quite as accurate either, in this pic do you see the funky antenna on top? this was NEVERRRRR in the movie.. It is on the actual submarine that was sold at auction but that was never in a single scene in the movie and is also on the autoart version as well... so looks like they just copied the die cast....

http://stat.ameba.jp/user_images/201...3469026669.jpg
    http://stat.ameba.jp/user_images/201...3469026672.jpg
    Last edited by wingtip; 02-24-2016 at 03:16 PM.
    Dave Townsend

Look what finally decided to show up today... my piston tank, 450ml from rc.sub.workshop

[IMG]photo 1 by Dave Townsend, on Flickr[/IMG]
    photo 2 by Dave Townsend, on Flickr
    Dave Townsend

I do not see any capacitors mounted on the motor to reduce noise. Does the motor supplied have internal capacitors?
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

no it does not so yes, it will need them... somewhere i should still have some leftover from when i built the original planned wtc for this project that i later scrapped.. but you can see the caps i mounted on this speed 500 motor.
    gearbox005 by Dave Townsend, on Flickr
    Dave Townsend

so while tinkering around, soldering some connectors to bits and pieces i inadvertently smoked one of my two new esc's lol... a nice loud pop then lots of smoke and that typical stench... I didnt catch that one of my adapters ( a deans connector to a tamiya plug) that i had ordered from fleabay had their wires installed wrong to the tamiya plug so soon as i plugged it in to the esc... pop....

Just another minor setback...lol
    Dave Townsend

New esc's arrived... wired up connectors and everything works... im liking the rcsubworkshop custom piston tank I showed a few posts back... it works pretty nice...transit time on 4s battery pack is still a bit long (450ml tank)... ill have to time it and report back... I also received the other two lower hull slices from the guy doing my 3d printing and im not to happy again... again his stuff just looks like dog meat ... I realize there is post process cleanup and all to 3d parts but this is dog meat... Theres warpage, cracks, oozes, just fury/stringy balls of extrusion everwhere.... I think im just going to have to find someone else to do the printing and im leaning towards shapeways or a place in Illinois (im in Indiana myself) that has a 3dp x1000 printbed which can print my hull in one shot and not have to slice it up into 3 sections, which ill post a pic or two after work when I get back home. if I could find someone here local id rather do that.... or even someone that could cnc foam mill cut I'd be better off that way than the quality of stuff im receiving currently....

also the hull came out smaller than I had originally designed it... partially due to the guy that did the 3d modeling didn't stick to my dimensions.... that being said had he not screwed it up the printing guy wouldn't have been able to print any of the larger parts anyways cause at the size it is right now it barely fit in his delta printer.... now, the size it currently is, which is roughly 10 inches shorter in scale length, will be much more easier to carry and tote around and probably launch as well... so im not against keeping it this size (especially after re ordering new props to fit the smaller shrouds) but one of the first things I noticed is the piston tank without even being in a wtc yet sits above my estimated water line... so heres a question for you experts... how critical is it if a portion of the wtc is just above the water line??
    Dave Townsend

Dave Townsend

+ Reply to Thread