+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14

Thread: 1/48th Scale American S-25 Circa 1923

@^@
    SSBN 598 - blue/nuke trained IC/forward

I must tell you what happened here to move the project along. Two years ago, after the S Class wooden pattern had been setting on a shelf in my shop for five years, the pattern split and checked making it almost completely unuseable. So, not wanting to remachine a new pattern from wood I set it aside until I could figure out a way of repairing it.

After lots of thinking, I decided to abandon the old wood pattern in favor of an all new 3D printed pattern that I could print out ready to join for pulling the intermediate molds of the hull. The neat aspect of this is that I can print the boat out into the sections in which I intend to mold the boat up which saves me tons of time making up parting boards for hull separation.

All I needed to do was break the 3D CAD model up and print the parts. Another bonus from the use of 3D CAD.

Photos to follow.
    Regards,

Matt

Here are a few photos of the 90% printed lower hull half of S-25. The parts are extremely smooth. All that needs to be done from here is to index the hull section and glue them together with epoxy while they are mounted on a melamine datum board to keep the parts absolutely flat while they are being glued up. The top section will have a 3/16" stainless rod running down a common chase in all of the sections to keep them all properly indexed while they are epoxied together. I didn't think of doing this until I was two sections into printing the lower hull half.

Sorry I had to start over here, Ralph! The wood pattern was just way too much work to reclaim. This is much easier!

There are three more sections for the lower hull to be printed. The lower bow will be attached to the upper hull half and the last section of the upper half which contains the rudder post will be attached to the lower section of the hull.
    Regards,

Matt

The new Albacore pattern is getting its scribing this week, so the S-25 will be right behind it on the bench. Should be a seemless transfer from Albacore right over to molding up the S Class. It's really nice to be healthy and have some serious shop time. These models have been sitting in the queu for far too long.
    Regards,

Matt

I understand completely.
    My B-boat plug, from sitting has started laminating.
    Most of the filler has popped off the plug.
    Cold winters and hot summers contraction is destroying the plug.
    SSBN 598 - blue/nuke trained IC/forward

That's it, Ralph. Wood is a wondeful medium to work with, but it just doesn't age well.

That's really a shame. That B boat is a really neat project. Hopefully you can find a way to keep it going?
    Regards,

Matt

Matt,
    Glad you are healthy and able to get the shop time you need! Rock on!
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

This is great news. I've been away a week so just catching up with this thread.
    Since you have the CAD drawings could you draw in a 1/16"x3/8" band that crosses the
    joints. Then when you print add the band to one section so it slides under the adjoining section.
    Like a lap joint in welding.

Yes, that can be done! Of course, being in a big rush to get printing I did not think completely through how to join until most of the top was printed out. I chose to use the 3/16" diameter steel rod to run down the length of the boat to keep all of the parts perfectly in line.
    Regards,

Matt

+ Reply to Thread