+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31

Thread: Anime Subs

So I've been debating which way to handle the turning system. Do I use the existing left / right thrusters for directional control or do I put some sort of vectored thrust control in the main thruster. I decided I don't want to further compromise the bulkheads trying to cram in a directional thrust system so I am leaning towards a waterproof micro pump system with left / right pumps. If you look at the above pictures there are two lower thrusters. I am thinking I will drill a hole in each one and run a hose through some brass tubing glued in place. I have three basic criteria. 1 small, 2 high pressure, 3 waterproof. This one meets all those requirements. I may replace the motor with something more powerful, but not sure I should mess with mother nature. If you know what I mean.

ux_a16090100ux0046_ux_g03.jpg
    Last edited by Chad; 02-19-2017 at 07:45 PM.

Can you post an image of the thrusters as they are on the model?
    Regards,

Matt

Here you go. I don't know why it changes the orientation of the image. When I upload it, it's correct. Sorry

IMG_1516.jpg

If the thrusters are in the red housing, it will propel the boat, but they are too close together and too close to the centerline to provide steerage.

A simple vector plate placed just inside the central large thrust nozzle aft would be much more effective.
    Regards,

Matt

That's what I am trying to avoid. I could use a vectored thruster as well. Also what if I point the left / right thrusters even more to the left and right to provide more angled thrust. My other option is to cut holes below the water line and use the thrusters horizontally. That of course destroys the look of the model. I guess I could make the vectored thruster work. It just means I have to run a servo through the electronics box and the bulk heads.
    Last edited by Chad; 02-19-2017 at 09:38 PM.

I think using the main thrust nozzle is the best/only route to go. Another issue that comes to mind is that the angle the red thrust nozzles are angled down will force the bow down further as the throttle is advanced.

What about using the red fins forward of the thrust nozzles as rudders?
    Regards,

Matt

The rudder are tricky because of the way the model is moulded the one of the left is part of the section I plan to leave as an access hatch. I would have to cut it off and figure a way to keep it in place only serving to further take away from the nice clean display look of the boat which is where it will be most of the time. I am now leaning towards a vectored nozzle. That way when on display I can still afix the rear cone that covers the nozzle. Normally this would be a rocket engine so there is a diffuser nozzle that sits on the end of the engine. I removed it to allow room for the water jet to propel out the rear, but I still want to see it on display.

What about a single rudder on the side that would not impact your hatch?
    Regards,

Matt

a possibility indeed.

+ Reply to Thread