+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: Thor 1/96th SSN-21 Seawolf Rebuild

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,299

    Default

    New endcaps for what?
    Regards,

    Matt

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    337

    Default

    This...20170225_125820.jpg

    I re-read the post and realized that you are attaching another cylinder to the OTW one to add a battery compartment. Did I read that correctly? If so I looked forward to seeing how long that thing is. Haha. Ha...
    Last edited by Chad; 03-06-2017 at 08:09 PM.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,299

    Default

    The battery compartment is a separate cylinder from the main 3.5" cylinder. The only thing connecting the two cylinders will be the power supply wires. The battery compartment will be mounted to and supported by the foward G10 bulkhead already existing in the lower hull half. It will be approximately 5" long.
    Regards,

    Matt

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,299

    Default

    It is alive! The radio is now installed, along with the pushrods and all is working well. I did have to change out the provided stainless steel pushrods for brass. The stainless pushrods were a bit stiff and very hard to bend to the exact geometry needed for this servo setup. Next will be to install the linkages in the aft section of the stern to the control planes and rudders. This is the first time I have worked directly with an OTW cylinder. The pushrod exit seals are designed to contain the internal pressure buildup of about 8 psi during the ballast cycle. By necessity of design they are a bit on the inflexible side which labors the servos more than I like, but that is how the system works.





    The SubtechRC APC4 is now installed and functioning.









    We are getting to the end of this project very quickly. Once we have all of the control surfaces functioning and the new battery compartment installed, we will wet test the boat in the tub. After that it will be a waiting game for the spring thaw so I can go trim the boat out in the pond.

    In the meantime, we will continue to work on the finer details such as painting the impeller and the repaired areas on the propulsor housing.
    Regards,

    Matt

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    337

    Default

    When you fix something you don't mess around. Reinforced shroud, 3d modeled / printed servo tray, battery compartments, brass push rods, end caps, new saddles, to name a few of the things you've done here. Personally I also always felt the seawolf was the best looking nuke boat in the world. Yes the Vanguard is pretty sweet too, but I'm partial to the Seawolfs' looks and capabilities.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,299

    Default

    Thanks, Chad! There is only one way to do things, and that is the right way!

    I like the Seawolf a lot myself. I think it is the most lethal looking boat in our arsenal. I've been aboard her. She is deadly...
    Regards,

    Matt

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,299

    Default

    Well, it has been several days since I last posted an update and quite a bit has been done. The radio installation is now complete. The pushrods and all electronic items are now playing well together. I did have to upgrade Mike to a nice Futaba 9C unit due to the size of the receiver and he may want to add additional functions later on.

    The Battery cylinder End-cap was molded up just in case I have a need for a similar item in the future. It turned out extremely nice. If you turn the 3D printer down to Hyper Resolution, nothing but sanding with 600 wet paper and a coat of primer is all that is needed before molding.





    The Battery Cylinder Holder was designed up quickly and then printed out by my electronic employee. It came out very nice, as well. It will be fastened to the forward most bulkhead in the lower hull half to support and hold the battery cylinder for operations.





    The correct 11.1V 2,200 mah Lipo is now on its way from Tower Hobbies. It will be connected to the OTW cylinder via brass threaded rod passing through the aft bulkhead of the Battery Cylinder. I like Star connectors, so that is what will be used to get the power from the battery to the threaded rod.
    Regards,

    Matt

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,299

    Default

    The forward set of stators is getting its final prepping and filling before priming and attachment of the permanent forward shroud. A bit of Nitro Stan was used to fill in any small surface defects.





    After the forward stator unit is all primed the outermost surface will be sanded for permanent bonding to the forward shroud.

    Tomorrow we will cut the forward bulkhead to install the battery cylinder and bond it in place after fitting.
    Regards,

    Matt

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,299

    Default

    Due to time constraints to get this boat done by the Carmel FunRun for Michael, I was forced to hand the project off to Bob Martin. Work, again, takes me out of the shop for an extended period of time. Carmel is certainly in doubt for me now, as well...
    Regards,

    Matt

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
antibioticos genericos
desogen birth control