+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: the new facilities

Default the new facilities

To paraphrase a movie i have watched more than a few times....

"old and busted"
    old_busted.jpg

vs

"new hotness"
    new_hotness.jpg

the new stock tank is large enough that the Delta can drive around without any problems... after the photo, i drove it down to a foot below the surface, and then did figure-eights for a few minutes.

tank is 3' wide, 10' long, 2' deep.

Very nice!!!
    Regards,

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post
    Very nice!!!
    you are aware that you are directly responsible for this... the 6 foot tank worked fine until SOMEONE handed me a 1/32 scale type IX.

Oh, terrific, now I have tank-envy.

Quote Originally Posted by ccontrol View Post
    Oh, terrific, now I have tank-envy.
    "Oh, terrific, now I have submarine-testing-facility-envy." - fixed that for you...

although it cost considerably more than a kiddie-pool would cost, it had to be deep enough to work for my Alvin (21"+), and long enough for the type IX (94"+) and aesthetically pleasing enough to get the okay from Priscilla... and after unloading the 6' stock tank on craigslist for more than 50% of what i paid initially, i was able to use that to put a large dent in the cost of the new one.

i don't know how long it will take before i can test this theory, but as it is, it should be large enough to hold a type IX, a type VII, and a type II, all at 1/32, all at the same time.

everyone who has seen it so far has commented that i could either 1) add a heater and make it a koi pond, or 2) add a heater and have a lap pool.

it holds 400+ gallons, and takes 2 hours to fill.
    Last edited by tpsenecal; 06-07-2016 at 01:20 PM.

If you are keeping a list of envious ones, add me to it. Where did you get this from? Was it local?
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Tim, try looking for Stock Tanks.
    The one Tim has looks like a Hastings Tank.

Try farm, ranch and tractor places.

Hasting Tanks

CAL Ranch supplies, Las Vegas
    SSBN 598 - blue/nuke trained IC/forward

Tom, actually, the brand i have is "Hutchison-Western", and although they have a website, and you can see the exact model i bought, HW is a wholesaler only...
    http://livestockequineequipment.hutc...ock-tank/30187

I went to my local western feed and supply store - think of a home depot for horse owners. I bought mine from "Murdochs" http://www.murdochs.com/ I had to special order mine, normally they don't carry the extremely large size one, the largest they normally carried was 2'x8'... i wanted the 3'x10'

interesting but useless factoid: the nearest factory for hutchison-western is 2 miles from where i work, and the nearest murdoch's was less than a mile from my house. I had the 10' tank sticking out the back of my pickup truck for all of 10 minutes driving it home.

there has to be something like Murdoch's in Nevada. - edit: the Cal Ranch stores Ralph linked to look exactly like the Murdochs in my area...

this link would be identical to the original tank i had: http://www.calranch.com/stock-tanks/...d-end-tank.htm

and be careful... there are short and tall versions, sheep tanks are 1' tall, horse tanks are 2' tall.

interesting and not so useless factiods: 1) the tanks are shipped in lots of 3, with each one nested inside the other. if you know this, you can ask for the outside tank, which is at least 3" larger in size than the inner most one (in fact, my tank actually measures 39" wide, by 122" long) 2) visually inspect the tank before taking possession of it. Like everything that gets delivered by truck, they can get dented pretty badly during delivery... dents can tear/weaken seams. 3) if you have a seam that leaks, standard bathtub caulk will seal it.

finally, I always cover my tank when not in use, it keeps leaves and other debris from getting into it, and it also keeps squirrels from drowning...
    Last edited by tpsenecal; 06-08-2016 at 10:37 AM.

another good place to look, if you don't mind buying a used one, is craigslist.

Tim and Ralph, thank you. I am familiar with the horse/feed/tackle/ranch stores from when Sam was in the rodeo and we owned a horse. That being said, never saw one that large. Your facilities look great. Searching around I found several dimensions that would work for me. Tim, I enjoy the factoids too!
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

+ Reply to Thread