+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Using Engle parts?

Default Using Engle parts?

Hi all,

A long story this so I'll keep it brief! I have been making models on and off for 50+ years, submarines for over 30. I gave it all up a few years ago but decided I needed something creative to do in my life. I purchased an Engle 1:96 complete model but a big, big mistake It's too small.

I intend to buy a much larger scale model submarine and to fit fit the Engle electrics and mechanics into it. Has anyone any experience in this sort of thing please?

The next issue is disposing of the brand new and untouched hull and the numerous other parts that I will not use but I'll get around to that in good time.

Many thanks for any advice.

The Old Boy.

The Old Boy...

I have purchased many, many, many separate Engel parts (mainly ballast tanks and controllers) for at least 3 different subs. basically just what you are talking about, without buying the extra parts. given a little bit of planning, there is zero issue doing what you are describing.

Very, very grateful for your advice. A little of 'a leap into the dark' and possibly a minor lack of confidence as I age!!!!

I have bitten the bullet and ordered a OTW Type XXIII at 1:25 scale. I had built a couple of OTW submarines before the last being a Nacken, compleyed, floated and then sold.

Just the unwanted parts to dispose of.

Again many thanks.

The Old Boy
    Last edited by The Old Boy; 06-23-2016 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Poor grammar!

Just one concern....

make sure the ballast tank from your Engel kit is big enough.

A bit of a mute question now to be honest. I have what I have to use from the kit I purchased. There are two ballast tanks. I don't see it as being a real problem other than possibly heavier than I would want but not a great deal above water on the Type XXIII.

I'm grateful, very grateful for your interest.

Best wishes.

The Old Boy.

Back again.
    The manufacturer came back to me very quickly. Nice guy Bob, I met him once. My 2 x Engle tanks are each 500 ml and the standard ballast tank supplied with the Type XXIII is 7" x 4.25" in diameter. I just need to do the conversion to compare like for like but I have to drive to the airport soon.

Best wishes.

The Old Boy.

inches to cm conversion on your 7" x 4.25" cylinder

17.78cm x 10.795cm

the formula for the volume of a cylinder:

pi * radius ^2 * length

3.1419 * (5.3975 * 5.3975) * 17.78

3.1419 * 29.13300625 * 17.78 = 1627ml

if the size bob gave you was internal dimensions of the ballast tank.

if the dimensions were external, and tank wall is 1/8" then...

17.145cm x 10.16cm

3.1419 * (5.08 * 5.08 ) * 17.145
    3.1419 * 25.8064 * 17.145 = 1390

you need basically 3 of those 500ml tanks for that type XXIII.... if you want to match the exact volume of bob's tank.

however, i have read elsewhere that bob's tanks don't fill to 100%... more like 80%...

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/for...?topic=39228.0 post #11

80% of 1627 = 1300...
    80% of 1390 = 1112...

Flight delayed so not left yet. Grateful for what you did calculations wise. Very grateful. It still looks as if I am going 'to be light' by 100 odd ml based on Bob's 80% fill and the tank diameter being given as the external measurement? Not a lot I can do other than to run with it. An interesting photo in the Rössler and Köhl book showing Hai and Hect tied alongside each other and being a lot lower in the water than I thought they would be! Maybe all is not lost?

Grateful as always for your kindness.

The Old Boy.

simply helping where i can

+ Reply to Thread