+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Concept Subs

Default Concept Subs

searay.jpg
    I will be starting this off with one of my own creations I designed way back in 3d animation school based on this only existing render of the submarine.

The idea here was to create an underwater attack submarine with high-speed maneuverability at shallow depths. The SeaRay vehicle would be equipped with short range active and passive sonar for the immediate purposes of navigating and finding targets. It would carry high speed super-cavitating rockets. It's purpose would not be to remain silent but rather be quick and decisive at finding and eliminating both surface and submerged targets. It would also be capable of surface travel at slower speeds.

I call her the SeaRay 01-X

It will be available for sale in static form only unless someone is seriously interested in converting to RC in which case I will make the effort to adapt it's design for that type of use.

I am also toying with the idea of turning this in to a VR Video game since I make video games.

For the heck of it here is a whole list of a bunch of other subs I want/plan to build in Rhino.

The Great Guardian from Submarine707 anime movie
    img_0059.jpg

Hydra Sub from Captain America the first Avenger
    PH48XD2zF2Jz7a_1_l.jpg

The Caspartina from XMen First Class movie
    XMFC_Sub.jpg

UX01 from Space Battleship Yamato 2199 3d animated series
    10360987a6.jpg
    Last edited by Chad; 07-15-2016 at 03:49 PM.

I debated whether or not to start a Red October post, but decided to just stick it in this one since it's kind of a concept sub. Plus I don't really want to track another post.

So with that said, I will be starting work on a Rhino build of the Red October for use in various ways. As a 3d print, As a Blue Print, As a possible offering for a scale kit. And anything else I can think of. I want to get as close as possible to the move replica as I can seeing as I am just that obsessive as it seems all of us are in this hobby, which is what I love about it.

Here is what I have started.

october.jpg redoct.jpgkg_red-october_001.jpg kg_red-october_002.jpg

Deleted and moved to first post.
    Last edited by Chad; 07-15-2016 at 03:47 PM.

Here's a couple more concepts I found that I'd like to build in 3d.

PS I would love to hear feedback as to which one would be the most interesting to be done next. I like the Russian one a lot but I'd change a few things. To start, I'd remove the forward sonar dome. Looks like a cancerous mass.

Thanks!

atoicamui__united_islands__submarine_by_waffle0708-d8agv5d.jpg irkutsk_enemy_sub_by_onthesquare-d3a9ey9.jpg irkutsk_ortho_by_onthesquare-d3a9f4a.jpg
    Last edited by Chad; 07-18-2016 at 12:37 PM.

If I haven't mentioned much here I am working on Blue prints for the most accurate plans I can develop for the Red October since there are both no good kits for this subject based on the movie version and no good prints. Here is what I have so far. I will be building them in Illustrator per the norm and then in Rhino for export as a good pair of blue prints. IF ye be interested please let me know. Or if you have some good resources to point me in the direction of I would really appreciate it as this was one of my early favorite scifi subs. Before this I had only known of the Nautilus and the Sea View, both incredibly impractical as we all know, but who said that was going to stop we the obsessive hobbyists from building and running them. No one that's who! Argh!

red.jpg

+ Reply to Thread