+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: R.O.V build

Default R.O.V build

Hi all i am a newbie to this forum and to subs
    i was hoping to find out if anyone has built an R.C. R.O.V
    i have been given some plans for a basic pvc tube frame rov and wondered if it would be possible to make it RC controlled using a long antenna wire attached to a float
    your thoughts please

no reply's i must be asking a very basic or stupid question

No stupid questions. Since I don't have practical experience I will share what has been stated here and other sites.
    This is not a highly traveled web site but still a good source of information.
    75mhz radios are used for land type applications and will penetrate water to a limit. These are what are widely used but are
    not manufactured as much anymore.
    2.4 ghz will not penetrate the water so would need a antenna above water like you suggested.
    433mHz radios will penetrate water but needs a HAM License.

http://www.subcommittee.com/sub101.html
    http://www.subcommittee.com/rcss-radios.html
    Might have more answers on radios.
    Also go to Forums to ask questions.
    http://subcommittee.com/forum/forum.php
    Last edited by scott t; 09-07-2016 at 12:07 PM.

thanks for the info
    i will be using 2.4ghz as i have a DX6i
    which i use with my air boat and my helicopters
    so i will have to make a long aerial and put a fishing float on it
    thanks again

ps i thought this was the forum i will try the subcommittee .com forum
    Last edited by Paul; 09-07-2016 at 02:13 PM.

thanks

Here is what one person said about the use of 2.4ghz:

The "separation" goes back just a few years to when there were distinct different frequency sets for land and air use. Land RC (cars, boats, etc) operated on 27mHz (with only 6 frequencies) and 75mHz (with, iir, 30 frequencies). Aircraft operated on 72mHz and (I think) 35 and 40-something, all with a fairly limited number of frequencies. The separation was because the user picked a distinct frequency with a crystal set (or, toward the end, dialed in with a synthesized system), and since aircraft and land craft COULD be operating at close but not in communication venues each could operate without fear that other users would inadvertently be on their channel as long as everyone was playing by the rules.

2.4gHz has changed this. I believe the Futaba system is similar, but I'm pretty sure the Spektrum system has 80 distinct frequencies that the TRANMITTER automatically selects after sampling the airwaves to make certain the frequency/frequencies it is selecting are clearl, much as your cell phone does when it communicates with a tower. The ground systems use a single frequency, so the theory is that the 81st transmitter to turn on won't lock on to a frequency and, thus, won't transmit. The aircraft systems would use two frequencies for redundancy sake, so the 41st transmitter in that case. There have been some changes in the Spektrum system with the new DSM-X (making it, I understand, more similar to the Futaba FAST system in operation) but I believe the basics remain the same. The automatic frequency selecting performed by the 2.4 systems makes the need to separate ground and air frequencies obsolete.

with out things getting too complicated for my little brain yes the DX6i has the DSMX which is fully compatible with all DSM2 so there are plenty of airwaves to go around

Paul,

You will find mostly the most advanced Submarine Modelers frequent this site. We get quite a bit of visiting traffic, but not as much posting as some of the other sites which tend to focus on day to day conversations and introductory technology. Also, most posting here is done in the winter during building season. We all have our place in this hobby.

We can, certainly, help you here. When you get down to it, the RC submarines we build are ROVs. What you are asking is to use 2.4 ghz. That is a bit off the beaten path as Scott stated earlier. it does not penetrate water and presents its own set of technical challenges. You will need more than a bit of antennae floating above the surface. Where are you planning on operating this ROV? If you are planning to use the ROV in saltwater you will be able to use much of what has been developed to run 75 Mhz radios in salt water. This has been done successfully by several modelers over the past 30 years. If you are operating at sea you will need to provide a ballasted floating antenna lead to maintain constant contact.
    Regards,

Matt

Sorry Boss didn't mean to belittle the site. I visit usually every other day.
    Sounds to me that Paul wants to try his 2.4ghz radio that he already has. Paul you might
    want to consider the hassles a floating cable would be. The idea of getting a 75mhz radio
    is it would be easier to set up and use and your ROV would get used more often.

+ Reply to Thread