+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: R.O.V build

OK so it would seem that i really need to go down the 75mhz route
    i have had a quick look on flee bay and they all appear to be 2 channel wont i need at least 3 channels 1,forward/backward 2,left / right 3,up /down ?
    plus extras like camera tilt and pan plus lights on / off
    i will be using the rov in fresh water only

Now you are upping the game. Camera tilt and pan means you want to see what is going
    on in real time. So RC will just control your ROV but wont transmit your pictures. Maybe
    you do need a cabled ROV. Pan and tilt can probably be achieved by the way you drive
    the ROV.
    Last edited by scott t; 09-08-2016 at 09:10 AM.

i like to make things complicated lol
    i had thought of using a crashed FPV drone (that my boss bought and promptly crashed and said i could have )
    so i was going to use the camera and the heads up display they work up to around 300mtrs distance
    i am not sure of the frequency though i will have to get it from him and see what the label says

hmmm lots of thinking i think with what i want the rov to do it will have to be a tetherd rov rather than rc

Hi Paul I notice that your location is Wales UK (I'm in lancashire) so forget about 75mhz which is not used/legal in the UK.
    A 27MhZ OR 40mHZ radio will work underwater and get rid of trailing cables/aerials but is no use for video transmission.
    27m sets with significant channels are getting as rare as hen's teeth but 40m are still available, check with your local club for anyone who id going to 2.4Mhz, I recently got 2 cheap sets that way.

If you require further info regarding other details specifically for this side of the pond especially submarine meetings then try
    http://associationofmodelsubmariners.com/ which covers website,forum and facebook.

A lot of model submariners are members of both Subpirates and AMS so come on in, the waters fine.
    John

thanks for the help i am a Lancashire lad my self
    decisions decisions decisions

OK so this might seem like another daft question
    if you submariners don't have live video feed from your subs how do you know where you are going ?
    or is it that you only use your subs in swimming pools and the like

Most operation is done at periscope depth so we can see the tip of the mast.
    I like clear water so I can see down at least 5'.
    This is not always possible.
    After a rain storm the waters tend to be muddy.
    When the water is murky, I hope I have enough feel for my boat to run at about 18" so I can come up a little and have the mast break the surface of leave the small wake.

Also, by running near the surface and seeing the mast or wake you know what the direction is and you know your speed then you make a run using perceived time and make turns where yu think you are and after a few moments...I started tosay minutes but that would be too long in most cases.. you break the surface to see how close you calulated your position.
    Just like the real thing.
    Known position.
    Known speed.
    Known direction.
    Known dept.
    Calculate run.

And most of all hope next time the water has cleared up.

The stress of running in dirty water can be a lot to handle.
    Never know if you might run in to the weeds or submerged junk.
    Many years ago, was watching a 5' sub operate and it did not return.
    Even after exhausting it's batteries.
    Three years later the city drained the small lake to clean it u0p.
    Sub was found not 30 feet from where the operator was standing.
    The sub had run in to a grocery store shopping cart and couldn't get out.
    The sub has the owners name inside and he got it back.
    Was a bit of a mess.
    I do not know what happened after that.
    SSBN 598 - blue/nuke trained IC/forward

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    Hi Paul I notice that your location is Wales UK (I'm in lancashire) so forget about 75mhz which is not used/legal in the UK.
    A 27MhZ OR 40mHZ radio will work underwater and get rid of trailing cables/aerials but is no use for video transmission.
    27m sets with significant channels are getting as rare as hen's teeth but 40m are still available, check with your local club for anyone who id going to 2.4Mhz, I recently got 2 cheap sets that way.

If you require further info regarding other details specifically for this side of the pond especially submarine meetings then try
    http://associationofmodelsubmariners.com/ which covers website,forum and facebook.

A lot of model submariners are members of both Subpirates and AMS so come on in, the waters fine.
    John
    would these frequencies be AM or FM

Paul
    27mhz is AM, there used to be some 27Mhz FM sets available but not seen one for years.
    40mhz is FM for more than 2 channels.

A multi channel 40Mhz FM Transmitter and reciever with crystals is what you need.

Also, if you like fiddling, then there is also 458Mhz UHF but you have to assemble it yourself, there are some instructions available in this forum

John

+ Reply to Thread