+ Reply to Thread

Thread: German type VIIC or VIIB Uboat

Default German type VIIC or VIIB Uboat

Hi guys new to this place but I been designing and building r/c aircraft for 40+ yrs.

I am wanting to get into subs and have always been one for stuff with a lot of fidgety external stuff so I could have fun making all those scale details. I also like to use solidworks to cad up my designs so I get to see it in 3D before I build thne I can export off for CNC work etc.

I am wanting to do a type VIIB or VIIc german U boat. my problem is

1) I dont do kits to me most are a waste of money as I usually have to replace tons of contents because they are inferior quality

2) I am a designer and scratch builder I only like to build from a set of plans or of my own design (it is just the satisfaction I get plus the best way to learn stuff via trial and error)

3) I am new to boats and subs as being an plane guy for so long. so I have tooked around for drawings and most are really low quality or small and very hard to read. this makes it hard for me to start any cad work if I cannot see the proper shapes or the location of the bulkead they are showing.

so does anyone have or have a link to a good clean set of drawings for a type VII?

I did look in the reference section last night but didnt seem to find a good clean image unless since im old and vision going (turned 55 yest )) i just happened to miss one

thanks Joe

ps when i find the info i will prob post my design as i progress so it easier to ask for help or so ppl can correct me if I dont take something into consideration for running gear etc.

my plan is for possibly 1/32 scale or if i can find a way to break it in the middle go 1/16th scale

I do not know where to find good drawing.
    Someone will post that does.

A place to start looking
    uboat.net

The sizes you have planned is impressive.
    A Type VIIC is 220.14 feet long
    1/32 = 6.88 feet
    1/16 = 13.76 feet
    SSBN 598 - blue/nuke trained IC/forward

thanks its actua;lly small for me lol I am used to making 1/4 and 1/3 scale aircraft with wingspans averaging 10-13 feet but i dont have my trailer any more so 6 ish feet is limit I could fit each half so 1/16th would fit if it could be broke down the middle or I just strap it to the top of my car ))))

I do have some decent dxf outline and bulkhead drawings for a jap I-400 but the exterior is kinda plain and I like the fidgety details on the exterior of the type VII

well for now ive given up on trying to do some them earlier subs I cant find decent drawings and i did find the Pompanito Balao class but im having a really hard time converting from aircraft design in cad to subs. none of the drawings i find show just the central hull outlines without the squareish top deck so it is hard for me to get my height and width dimensions and overall shape. and I dont want to do a current sub because a tube with pointy ends is bland and totally boring to me

+ Reply to Thread