+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19
Results 181 to 185 of 185

Thread: "ALMA" a 1891 scow schooner

  1. #181
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    7 miles north of Phelan, CA
    Posts
    2,275

    Default

    The top fits very tight on to the bottom board.
    A quick look shows that one side of the box is not straight.
    The side bends inward.
    The bottom boards is beveled to push the sides out straight but the side does not engage the bottom board before the foam comes in contact with the hull railing.
    The fix is to reshape the side panel.
    Here, I have clamps and wedges to bring the side out straight.
    I will let it sit this way for a few days while I move on to other projects.


    I cleaned up the shop and I cleaned off the work bench of all the cut plastic, paper dust and miscellaneous parts.
    While I wait on the side to straight up, I thought I would work on the Akula II.


    During water testing, I could see air bubbles coming up at the stern.
    I opened up the access hatch and turned the boat upside down in the water and with a flash light I looked for where the air was coming from.
    There are several through bulkhead fittings.
    Rudder, stern planes, piston inlet/outlet, pressure sensor and a 1/8" hole I don't remember what it was for.

    I took a length of .028" brass wire and I pushed it through the access opening and in to the 1/8" hole.
    As I pushed, I watched on the front side of the bulkhead to see where the wire came through.
    There it was.
    Inside a clear plastic tube.
    Okay, what is this?
    Followed the tube and it went to the back side of the pressure sensor.
    This explains the bubbles.
    There is about 16" of this plastic tubing.
    The tubing is just there to get a differential pressure from outside the hull to inside the hull.
    This tube slowly releases air and fills with water.
    Not an issue at all.

    Next, I plan to bypass the Hall's sensor.
    It was optional and I put it in having never used one.
    My opinion is, it works really well and as it suppose to.
    How ever, my transmitter does not have a control sensitive enough to use the full function of the Hall's Sensor.
    The jump between clicks on my transmitter knob are too far apart and the piston moves in steps.

    I am going to set it back to manual control.
    As soon as I figure out the instructions.
    The English translation is not explicate enough.
    There will be guessing. involved.
    SSBN 598 - blue/nuke trained IC/forward

  2. #182
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    7 miles north of Phelan, CA
    Posts
    2,275

    Default

    Back to the ALMA.

    Too many projects at the same time.
    Skipjack on the kitchen table disassembled.
    Alkula II stern with tech rack out in the shop being worked on.

    And the ALMA always being worked on.
    This morning, I decided to take the sails and mast off the kitchen table and back out to the shop.
    The Staysail needed 2 brass mast rings resoldered to the cable eye rings.
    With the wind blowing, I can not paint and I don't feel like being outside in the wind.

    So soldering it is.
    It took longer for the iron to heat up than to do the job.
    Okay, done.

    Well, why not see how the sails look on the masts with the masts put in the deck sockets.

    This is the point that looking at the ALMA looks like I am finally getting something done.
    (sails are temporarily attached to the booms and mast)

    Overall length is 44".
    Front end of bow sprint to back end of of main boom.
    SSBN 598 - blue/nuke trained IC/forward

  3. #183
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    153

    Default

    It sure does come together with the sails on!
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

  4. #184
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    7 miles north of Phelan, CA
    Posts
    2,275

    Default

    Back to working on the hull.

    I want to paint the white on the inside deck rail.
    But the rail being balsa wood, has in the past soaked up so much paint and did not cover well, I decided to clear coat the deck and the inside rail.
    Hoping the clear coat which dries really fast will seal the balsa wood so the white will not just soak in but cover.

    Taped off the at the railing so I could clear coat the deck and inside railing.
    I also did the forward hatch cover but I didn't get it in the photo.
    It's still outside.

    The bumps in the tape are at railing rises and cleats under the tape.
    SSBN 598 - blue/nuke trained IC/forward

  5. #185
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    7 miles north of Phelan, CA
    Posts
    2,275

    Default

    Interesting morning.

    Got the hull prepped, taped and clear coated.
    Did this outside in the sun.
    Even did the deck hatch.
    Came in and posted.
    Then went out and moved the hull and deck hatch back in to the shop.

    Now sitting here at the computer, I can see outside that the wind is now up and is 15 to 20 mph.

    I think I got lucky this morning.
    SSBN 598 - blue/nuke trained IC/forward

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
antibioticos genericos
desogen birth control