+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13

Thread: "ALMA" a 1891 scow schooner

The Alma being a total scratch built from plans acquired from the San Fransisco Maritime museum of the original built has had it's challenges.
    Making this boat out of stuff just sitting around the shop and tool shed has kept the dollar cost rather low.
    I think I have less than $30 not counting the servos, batteries and Rx.

Sometimes I come up against something that is easy to build but then not so easy to make work on the boat.
    Example: The masts. Put blocks of wood under the deck with hole drilled to accept mast. Instance mast step.
    Well that is all and good but then there is transporting the boat to the pond.
    The masts have to come down.
    Now the problem.
    There are so many cables, shrouds and other standing rig lines that it would take a couple of hours to either take down or put up.
    Then there are the running rig.
    More lines to connect or disconnect.

I took on stepping the mast first.
    How to step the mast without taking all the standing and running rig lines off.
    Dead eyes are a pain to thread.

After many months of thinking about this while doing other builds, I knocked a spray paint can off the bench.
    I immediately saw that as the solution to my mast stepping problem.
    Put a length of brass tubing in the step block that comes up 2.75" above the deck.
    Step the mast in the brass tubing and then cut the mast flush with the brass tubing.
    Now the mast can be pushed sideways and slipped right off the mast piece int he deck.
    Okay, that works but now how to hold the mast that has been cut.
    Get a piece of brass tubing that slips in side the tube in the deck and over the mast piece.
    Slide the brass tube up the masts exposing the bottom of the mast.
    Slip the mast over the deck tube and mast piece.
    Slide the inside brass tube down in to the deck tube over the mast piece.
    I now have 2.75" of overlapping brass tubing and it comes up above the cut point by about 3".
    Take a piece of brass rod and bend it in to a square U.
    Drill a hole in the upper and lower tubes.
    Insert pin and the top and bottom masts pieces are connected.
    I can lift the boat by the mast.

I did this for both masts.

Then the next problem was the masts with sails installed.
    How do I get those in to the transportation box.
    The main boom is 4" longer than the box is wide.
    The masts lengths will fit in the box without disconnecting any of the standing rig.
    I have for months been thinking about how to make the bead chokers that holds the yokes in place, disconnect so, I could raise the booms up against the masts to put in the box.
    I thought about spring wire in brass tube in the boom.
    I thought about finding very small bolts and nuts.
    The solution came today.

This morning, I drew the sail panel lines on the sails I cut yesterday.
    I have the sails, masts, booms and gaffs sitting on my living room floor.
    Been there since this morning.
    Watching tv and looking at the sails trying to decide if I will mark both sides with panel lines, (answer is yes to lines) I had a thought on how to get the masts in the transportation box.

First you need to know, I have the bottom of the box (cut to size) sitting on my kitchen table, using it to cut and draw on the sails.
    I was looking a the sails on the floor and it came to me that only the main boom is wider than the box.
    Everything else is much shorter.
    So, I picked up the main mast and main boom and took it over to the box bottom board.
    I set the mast along one edge and put the boom in place.
    All this time I have been worrying about how to make it fit, I was using the boat hull width as my reference.
    But the transportation box has 2" additional on each side of the hull to get my hands down the sides to lift it up and out of the box.
    After setting the mast and boom on the board it was very obvious that the boom was only 1.5" too long but I could raise it up without binding the yoke beads.
    If I leave a little more slack in the bead line, I should be able to bring the boom up at least 30 degrees.
    This would give me about 4" of clearance.

Turns out the real problem was me thinking about things that looked like problems before I actually got to that point in the build.

Just setting the mast and boom on the board showed me that I did not have to take the booms off the masts to make it small enough to fit in the box.
    What it showed me was I can make up the standing rig and then leave it attached and still pack the boat in the box.

Instead of worrying about how to attach or disconnect 13 shrouds and cables, I only have to pull 2 pins and lift the 2 brass connector tubes to lay the masts down.
    I had that built over a year ago. I have been thinking and stressing out over nothing. Well, not quite nothing.
    But I could have moved on months ago to other parts of the boat.

This was one of those very biog, "Ah Ha" moments.

And, and, because I no longer have to disconnect the yoke beads, it will be so much easier to install them. permanently.

I am going to sleep well tonight. !
    SSBN 598 - blue/nuke trained IC/forward

I decided.
    I marked both sides of the sails.
    -----------------
    I have enough fabric to make maybe 2 more sets of sails.
    And then I have that much fabric in true white.

Mounting the sails to the support cables.

Starting with the main sail.
    Measuring the location of the mast rings.
    The cable is held in place using push pins through the cable end eye loops

Next I will cut the sail to allow the mast rings to inset in to the sail.
    Yes, I have a piece of fabric I am doing test on before I move to the sail itself.

Sail mast ring inlets cut.
    Folding tabs over the cable.
    Using a fabric bonder.

All but the ends completed.
    I need to make different cuts to fold the corners.
    Now to let it all cure before putting stress on it.

+ Reply to Thread