+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17

Thread: "ALMA" a 1891 scow schooner

Marked the location of all the foam blocks.
    The 6 will be glued in to the top after i bevel the bottom so it will center as they pass the hull.

I have cut, glued and clamped the inside end wood pieces that the top sit on.

The blocks that will keep the bow and stern from moving can be installed with the top of the box off.
    So, I think I am ready to glue the top panel in to the box sides.
    I'll think about that some more and then decide.

Once the top is installed on to the sides, I can make the inside wood pieces to strengthen the top panel.
    Might want to place them so I can attach a handle of some sort later.

Tomorrow, I will finish the 2 stand boards.
    Will get hinges next time I am in town.

Tuesday, I will be at the VA hospital all day.
    (annual check up.. Mostly, I think I have been assigned a new GP doc and they want me to meet)
    SSBN 598 - blue/nuke trained IC/forward

You could put a hole in the bottom of the box with a dust cover over it to allow the keel to stick through when installed. Turn the lid over then set
    the bottom holding the boat on top of it. The keel would stick through the hole and hang in the box top. But stands will work.
    You would need a stop lip to set the bottom in the turned over lid to keep it from sliding to the bottom.

I see what you are saying.
    ----------------
    The box already has wooden stops that keep the bottom board from going up inside the box.
    Turning the box over and setting the bottom in to the box, the bottom would not drop down.

For my submarines the stand is on top of the box and hinges flat fro transport.
    My thought for the sailboat was to have the stand hinge down but be mounted to the bottom board.
    The top of the box would be set aside out of the way.

Reason is, the hull is already sitting on the bottom board which is 3/4" pine.
    The masts can be stepped while the hull is on the bottom board.
    Then by lifting one end of the hull, 1 stand could be raised and then the other end.
    Once the hull was up on the stands, the keep can be inserted through the bottom of the hull by lifting the hull up on one side about 3" to get enough angle to slide the keel in the slot.

The bottom boards weights as much as the rest of the box and my thought was the weight might help keep the wind from turning the boat over in the stand.
    I have experience of my sailboats ending up laying on the ground from gusts of wind.

Now that you have introduced this idea, I will have to measure and do some testing.
    Your idea of putting the bottom in the over turned box has merit.
    It also leads to maybe putting a removable panel in the top of the box that the keel would drop through.

So many options!

Thanks, Scott, I will be mocking this one up to see it would work.
    R____

Another thought is to mount your hull support foam on 1/4" plywood rectangles then hinge in bottom of box like you used on your lid
    of the other boxes you made. Then you can pick up one end of your boat and swing the hinged portion up then do the other end. So
    you don't have to lift the whole boat so many times. Then when on the hinged stands you can attach the keel.

This is sort of what I have in mind.
    Only the bottom support foam pieces are between the hinged stand and do not need to be removable.
    The stand pieces hinge away from each other so a bungee cord will keep them standing when up.

This conversation has made me realize, I may need to make the support foam blocks about 3/8" thicker.
    I forgot about the length of the false rudder hanging down under the hull and if I find it is needed, I do not want to have to remove it every time I put the hull in the box for transport.

Thinking about the needed extra depth for the rudder, I may be able to mount the foam on the sides of the stand boards.
    That would give me 3/4" and I would only need to make a new center foam piece.
    This would allow me to move the stand boards a little closer together.
    Right now they are very close to the bow and stern curves.
    Moving 1" at both ends would make the hull more secure on the stand.

Another idea to check in to and mock up offered up by Scott.
    Thanks.

It looks and feels like it is going to rain today, so I may get more shop time than usual.

Was in the shop and I got a lot done this morning.
    Finished up the box sides.
    Everything has been glued and cured.
    Cleaned up all the glue that squeezed out on the edges.

I noticed that 2 of the brass bolts used to hold the box to the bottom board where rather tight.
    I need to make the hold in the wood side a little larger and or, I need to run a thread tap through to clean out the metal blind nuts.
    May have glue in them.

Did several mock ups of the various stand options.
    Cut lumber, glues pieces and clamped the first stand option.
    Should be able to clean it up Wednesday. (tomorrow, I have followup appointment at VA)

Need to stop by the hardware store and pick up 4 small hinges.
    -------------------
    Scott got me thinking about the hull in the box and how I need room for a false rudder.
    So, before I continue on with the stands, I think I will build the false rudder.
    I have some clear plastic pieces I was thinking of using.
    The original rudder is about 3/8" wide and has a 3/16" groove down the center of the bottom.
    These 2 proud rails represent the 2 hard wood strips the real boat has bolted to the bottom of the rudder as sacrificial pieces.
    These scows ran from San Francisco to Stockton and regularly pulled up on the beach or ran across sand bars in the river.

Anyway, I think I can make the clear plastic rudder extension that will sit between these strips on the bottom of the rudder and I can get 2 small screws in to the rudder.
    Being clear plastic, the extension show disappear in the water.
    I can also extend the front edge of the plastic extension to get a 30/70 rudder.
    The original rudder is 100% behind the rudder shaft.
    Hard to trim not being on the boat to feel the rudder and trim the sails individually.

Making the plastic rudder shouldn't take very long.
    Drill 2 holes for mounting and cut to shape.
    Then I may put 2 stainless pins in the plastic.
    1 will go in to the rudder base.
    1 will go up in to the rudder shaft which is currently brass tubing.

Built 2 stand pieces.
    Here they are laying down in the transport position.
    I put the hull on the foam blocks and I have 1/4" clearance.
    I put 100 pounds on the deck and could not compress the foam enough to get the hull to touch the stands.

Stands in the up position.

Stands up and hull sitting on stand with the keel in place.
    There is 1/4" clearance from the bottom of the keel to the foam block but if I need more room,
    I can always cut the foam to get another 1".

+ Reply to Thread